Checking you have the correct version of TeamViewer
Before we start setting up TeamViewer with a personal password, we first need to check that you have the correct version.
- First, open up TeamViewer on your computer. If you don't have TeamViewer, please follow this link to download the latest version: http://connect.teamviewer.com/v13
- It might look like the screenshot below. This is version 13, which is the latest version at the time of writing, and should work fine for our purposes.
- To check exactly what version you have, click 'Help' and then select 'About TeamViewer' from the drop-down menu. You should now see the following screen:
- If the version number starts with '13.' then you should be alright. If the version starts with a lower number then lose this window, click 'Help' again and select 'Check for New Version'.
- This will let you know if there is a newer version available.
- If there is a newer version it will ask you to install and then it will guide you through the installation process. Please got through this to ensure you have a version that is compatible with ours.
- Once you have this version of TeamViewer, we are all set to configure it with a permanent password.
Setting up TeamViewer with a personal password
TeamViewer works by allowing someone to log in and use your computer remotely, but only if they have your ID and password. Your ID should always stay the same, but by default TeamViewer uses a random password. This random password resets after every session, so if we log in using a random password you have given us then we will have to ask you for the new password the next time we need to log in.
Setting up a personal password allows us to log into your computer to set up printing and do other RosettaPOS configuration without having to bother you for the new password each time. It also means that if we need to log in to fix an urgent problem after you go live, we can easily get access and fix the problem as quickly as possible.
Whether you set up this password is completely up to you, as long as you understand the implications of not having one set up. If you want to go ahead, then follow these steps:
- Open TeamViewer, then hover over the default random password number. You will see a faint circular arrow to the left of the number (shown below).
- Go ahead and click this arrow. You should then click 'Set personal password'.
- The security tab of the TeamViewer options menu should then come up. You will see 2 fields called 'Password' and 'Set Password', clear these fields and then enter your personal password in both.
- Once you have done this, click the 'OK' button at the bottom of the page.
- Now all you need to do is to send an email to firstname.lastname@example.org with the ID and password of your POS terminal (or terminals if you have more than one). We can then continue with the configuration/installation of RosettaPOS.